How much do you think you know about the human brain?
Below are 14 facts about the human brain that will amaze you
1. Every time you learn something new, the structure of the brain changes, forming new connections.
2. The brain has between 80 and 100 billion nerve cells.
3. Sleep is important for the brain because sleep deprivation affects the brain by slowing your reactions and hampering your sense of judgment.
4. Ever wonder why your 20-year-old friend acts immature? Neuroscientists claim the brain isn’t mature until age 25.
5. Fat may be bad for the heart but it’s actually good for the brain. Approximately 60% of the brain is just fat.
6. The human brain has an astonishing amount of energy. The average human brain can produce enough electricity to light up a bulb.
7. If you feel tired, you can go ahead and yawn. Yawning cools down the brain according to research.
8. The brain makes up just 2-3% of the body’s mass but consumes 20% of the body’s oxygen and between 15%-20% of the body’s glucose.
9. Babies sleep a lot because the brain of babies use up to 50% of the glucose made in a baby’s body.
10. According to research, using a smartphone for long hours can increase the chances of brain tumor.
11. According to a 2014 study published in the Journal of Neuroscience, the female brain has more gray matter than the male brain.
12. According to research, exercising regularly can increase the amount of gray matter in the brain.
13. The human brain doesn’t feel pain because the brain doesn’t have pain receptors.
14. The brain cells take only 6 minutes to react to alcohol.
Researchers reveal two things you are guilty of that could make you age quickly
Insecticides mimic melatonin, creating higher risk for diabetes
New data show heightened risk of birth defects with antidepressants prescribed during pregnancy
Heavy alcohol use in adolescence alters brain electrical activity
Uganda:Blood shortage hits health facilities
|READ MORE ARTICLES ABOUT "Health"...|