Condoms are important if you want to protect yourself against STIs and prevent unwanted pregnancies but failure to use a condom properly will reduce its effectiveness.
Below are 9 mistakes most men make when using condoms
1. Not wearing a condom for the entire duration of sex is a common mistake men make when using condoms. Any genital contact before a condom is worn can lead to STIs. So ensure you use a condom right at the beginning and keep it until you’re finished.
2. Using a condom without adequate lubrication is another common mistake men make. Using condoms without adequate lubrication can lead to the condom tearing. When using lubes, avoid lubes like coconut oil, lotions, massage oils and petroleum jelly as they can break down the latex. Use water-based lubes instead.
3. Using expired condoms is another common mistake most men make. A condom’s effectiveness is reduced after a condom expires so its important you check the expiration date before use.
4. Not waiting until you are hard is another common mistake men make when using condoms. Before wearing a condom, it’s important you wait until you are hard down there.
5. Not leaving some room at the tip of the condom is another common mistake men make when using condoms. Ensure you always leave a room at the tip of the condom when wearing a condom.
6. Not rolling the condom down to the base of the pen*s is another mistake most men make when using condoms. Always ensure you roll the condom all the way down to the base of the pen*s when using condoms.
7. Not knowing the right size of condom to wear is another common mistake most men make. Avoid using condoms that don’t roll all the way down to the base of the pen*s or condoms that are too tight. Go a bigger condoms if you have this issue.
8. Reusing a condom is a common mistake that should be avoided. It’s important you use a new condom for every sex act.
9. Using two condoms at once is another common mistake men make when using condoms. It’s important to note that using two condoms will not give you double protection. Using double condoms will increase the likelihood of condom tear.