Addressing a press conference yesterday, Mr Chibita indicated that a charge sheet against Mr Baguma had been prepared and sanctioned by the Resident State Attorney at Buganda Road Court.
The Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Mike Chibita, yesterday insisted that former Kampala Central Police Station commander Aaron Baguma remains a murder suspect and said he would invoke powers of independence given to his office to make sure the police officer does not operate above the law.
Addressing a press conference yesterday, Mr Chibita indicated that a charge sheet against Mr Baguma had been prepared and sanctioned by the Resident State Attorney at Buganda Road Court and forwarded to the police director of Criminal Investigations Department to have the police officer apprehended and produced in court.
“We (DPP) do not summon but the file was sent to the CID. If he is not produced in court, we shall follow the process and move court to issue criminal summons against him,” Mr Chibita said.
He also dismissed rumours circulating yesterday that he had resigned his position.
“The issue of resignation is perpetuated by criminals. It is a figment of criminals’ imagination”.
Mr Baguma is one of the suspects in the alleged killing of businesswoman Betty Katusabe at Pine car bond in Kampala on October 21, 2015.
He is lined up to appear in court along with other suspects who are on remand.
They include car dealer and proprietor of the car bond, Mr Muhammed Ssebuwufu, Mr Godfrey Kayiza, a private security guard, Mr Philip Mirambe, a Congolese national, Mr Stephen Lwanga, a businessman and one Mr Paul Tasingika.
Ever since Mr Baguma was indicted by the DPP in December last year, police authorities have failed to surrender the commander.
He was promoted to another rank in February, but was removed from command recently and sent on training.
The DPP had in a July 21 letter given the police 10 days to charge Mr Baguma, but the police feigned knowledge of the DPP’s directive sent to CID director Grace Akullo.
Ms Polly Namaye, the deputy police spokesperson, who on Tuesday had said the police had not received any summons for Mr Baguma yesterday changed her position, saying the Force had received the DPP’s instructions.
“We received the instructions but police is in consultations with the DPP about the case and once a decision is taken, Mr Baguma will be produced in court,” she said, adding that they would abide by the DPP’s instructions.
Mr Chibita, who was flanked by his deputy Charles Eremu Ogwal, insisted that there is no special treatment being given to the case and that no crisis has hit its handling.
Mr Baguma’s troubles stem from an October 21, 2015, incident where he reportedly looked on as car dealer Ssebuwufu led assault against Katusabe, ordering her to pay him a Shs9 million debt.
Katusabe had promised to pay later.
DPP’s full statement
The Directorate of Prosecutions is charged with the mandate of instituting criminal proceedings, among other Constitutional responsibilities.
In pursuit of this provision, the Directorate institutes hundreds of thousands of criminal proceedings every year.
In exercise of its mandate, the Directorate works hand in hand with other stakeholders like Police, the Judiciary and the public, among others.
The Constitution provides that in exercise of his duties, the Director of Public Prosecutions will not act under control of any authority.
This is a provision that is guarded jealously and has been respected by stakeholders.
The Directorate is guided in its work by the principles of natural justice and adherence to the rule of law.
Some of the tenets of the rule of law include the presumption of innocence and the principle that nobody is above the law.
The Directorate wishes to inform the public that whenever necessary information on proposed or ongoing prosecutions is disseminated.
However, the Directorate wishes to reiterate that it does not and will not conduct prosecutions in or through the media.
The case of CPS CRB 147/2015 Uganda Vs Sebuwufu and others is being handled in accordance with the above stated principles.
Uganda:Report holds Museveni liable for JSC poor work
South Africa’s move to quit ICC challenged in court
LRA commander Dominic Ongwen to go on trial at ICC
Egypt’s top court upholds law restricting protests
Seyoboka hearing begins
|READ MORE ARTICLES ABOUT "Justice"...|