IGIHE.com \BB News
Bugesera International Airport to be completed in December 2018
Published on 3-09-2016 - at 04:50' by Théophile Niyitegeka

The government of Rwanda has signed agreements with Mota-Engil Africa, a Portugal based Company to start construction activities of Bugesera International Airport expected to be completed by December, 2018.

Bugesera International Airport will be constructed in two phases .The first phase is envisaged to have the capacity of receiving 1.7 million people annually while construction activities will cost USD 418 million.

The second phase will be the airport where it will have the capacity of receiving 4.5 million people annually taking more budget of USD 400 million.

Rwanda and Mota-Engil Africa share the project with Rwanda holding 25% of shares through Aviation Travel and Logistics Holdings Limited (ATL) while remaining 75% of shares belong to Mota-Engil Africa.

The model of the airport construction will follow the principles of BOOT, whereby the Portuguese company Mota Engineering and Construction Africa will procure finance, then construct and thereafter operate the airport for an initial 25 years - with a further 15 add-on years as an option, before then transferring the facility to the Rwandan government.

The Mota-Engil Africa director pledged working within accepted timelines.

“We only remain with 28 months from today up to the time of handing over the airport. The financial means must be tackled in the annual budget not later than June, 2017. This means that this is the date of beginning construction activities. We are planning to work with the government to start basic activities in few months ahead,” said Manuel Mota, the director of Mota-Engil Africa.

The Minister of infrastructure, James Musoni said that they have got a lesson from delayed projects like the construction of Kigali Convention Center which was supposed to be completed between 2009 and 2012 but finished after six years in 2016.

“We have learnt from experiences of building Kigali Convention Center. As president Kagame explained we faced challenges at the beginning but got lessons from it,” said Minister James Musoni.

“Through these lessons we learnt that it requires adequate preparations before starting construction activities. The only thing which can’t be changed during our project is the deadline of completing construction activities of the airport in 2018,” he added.

The CEO of Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority (RCAA), Silas Udahemuka said that compensation of relocated citizens has been effected.

“There are ten people with incomplete land documents prompting the government to retain the compensation. We have other 13 people who submitted incomplete numbers of bank accounts. We transferred money to these accounts but returned to National Bank of Rwanda since the accounts were not valid. Local leaders are following up the matter,” he said.

“We have completed our job. We are ready to pay any person having a problem.The land is available and can be used without interference, “said the Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Amb. Claver Gatete.

Rwanda and Mota-Engil Africa was established in 1946. It has been operating in Africa and recently revamped Kigali International Airport.

JPEG - 70.2 kb
The model of Bugesera International Airport

Kwamamaza
Comments

Good idea. What about the railway line project? How far achieved is it’s deal? Remember we were promised 2017

Répondre4.09.2016 à 15:51
Ingenzi

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Do not post comments that are defamatory, divisive and blasphemous.
If you wish to receive a quick response to your opinion/comments, please provide your email address in the space provided.
Your comments will appear after moderation from IGIHE.com.
In case the above regulations are not observed, your comments might not appear or will be deleted. Thank you!