Girls outshine boys in O’level national exams

By IGIHE
On 9 January 2018 at 01:17

The Ministry of education (Mineduc) has unveiled results of the 2017 primary and ordinary level national examinations, showing that girls outshined boys in general.

Primary schools’ results show the success rate stands at 86.3% while lower secondary schools (O’level) succeeded at 89.9%.

Combining primary and high schools’ ordinary level, 55.1% girls and 44.9% boys sat for exams last year. Generally, girls represent 55.5% of the success rate, leaving 44.5% to boys.

In primary schools, the best performer at national level is Frank Mugisha Nsengiyumva from Muhanga District while Josyln Karenzi Manzi from Gasabo District emerges the best performer in O’level.

In primary, boys performed better in all subjects whereas girls dominated in the category of best performing students in all subjects in O’level to the extent one boy appears among seven best overforming girls.

While unveiling the results on Tuesday, the State Minister for Primary and Secondary Education, Dr. Isaac Munyakazi said that good performance is attributed to the number of students who attend schools. He said attending schools has become an obligation and right among Rwandans.

He said that sensitization has contributed enough in raising the number of students who sit for national examinations.

In primary, 5.2% of students are in the first category with girls representing 43.9% whereas boys take 56.1%. In O’level, 11.14% are in the first category with 38.07% of girls and 61.93% of boys. Generally, girls represent 52.05% whereas boys occupied 47.95% of the success rate.

State Minister for Primary and Secondary Education, Dr. Isaac Munyakazi (R) receives examination results from Rwanda Education Board Director General Janvier Gasana

Advertisement

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Kwamamaza