The trial of five men accused of the rape and murder of a student aboard a bus in New Delhi will begin Thursday and should have none of the long delays commonly associated with India’s justice system, a defense lawyer said after a brief hearing.
Judge Yogesh Khanna denied a defense motion to make the proceedings public, ruling that the courtroom must remain closed because of the sensitive nature of the crime, said V.K. Anand, the lawyer for one of the defendants, Ram Singh.
The extreme brutality of the attack has sparked weeks of protests and focused global attention on India’s rarely discussed crisis of violence against women.
Monday’s hearing was the first since the case was moved to a new fast-track court set up specifically to handle such crimes.
The five defendants’ faces were covered by woolen scarves as they arrived in the court, surrounded by a phalanx of police. A sixth suspect in the attack claims to be a juvenile and his case is being handled separately.
The judge told the lawyers to prepare for opening statements to begin Thursday and agreed to a defense motion to hold the trial every day throughout the week, instead of allowing the gaps of weeks and months between hearings common in other courts, Anand said.
Defense lawyers are awaiting a decision by the Supreme Court on their motion to move the trial outside New Delhi because of the strong emotions in the city.
Police say the victim and a male friend were heading home from an evening movie Dec. 16 when they boarded a bus, where they were attacked by the six assailants.
The attackers beat the man and raped the woman, inflicting massive internal injuries with a metal bar, police said.
The victims were eventually dumped on the roadside, and the woman died two weeks later in a Singapore hospital.
Lawyers for the accused say police mistreated their clients and beat them to force them to confess.
Another defense lawyer, A.P. Singh, asked the judge to allow a special bone test on one of his clients to ascertain whether he is also a juvenile, the lawyer said. The judge reserved his ruling, he said.
The attack has sparked demands for wholesale changes in the way the country deals with crimes against women. Many families pressure relatives who have been assaulted not to press charges, police often refuse to file cases for those who do and the few cases filed often get bogged down in India’s court system, which had a backlog of 33 million cases in 2011.
In a sign of the sluggish pace of justice, only one of the 635 rape cases filed in the capital last year has ended in a conviction so far.
Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat cautioned that many other cases remained pending and said it was not realistic to expect crimes committed late last year to have wound their way through the system yet.
Senior police officers awarded PhDs
Rubavu driver dies in car crash
Delayed compensation worries residents
Two Nyagatare officials arrested over bribery
Obama says Clinton most qualified to be next president
|READ MORE ARTICLES ABOUT "News"...|