IGIHE.com \BB News
Kenya:Seven pupils treated for shock after St Augustine Primary School fire in Mombasa
Published on 1-08-2016 - at 01:40' by Daily Nation

The police attributed the fi‎re to an electrical fault and ruled out arson as investigations continue.

At least seven pupils were treated for shock and minor injuries after a dormitory at St Augustine Primary School in Mombasa caught fire on Sunday night.

The girl’s dormitory accommodated 135 pupils caught fire at about 11.30 pm.

The police attributed the fi‎re to an electrical fault and ruled out arson as investigations continue.

Mombasa Deputy OCPD Njoroge Ngigi said they received a fire emergency call from St Augustine Primary school at around 11.50pm.

"There was fire on the second floor of the girls’ dormitory.

Swift response by the Mombasa County and Kenya Ports Authority fire brigades managed to contain the fire which had consumed a better part of the dorm." Mr Ngigi said.

At least seven pupils who suffered shock were rushed to the Coast Provincial General Hospital for treatment.

Mvita MP Abdulswamad Nassir rushed to the scene and helped calm the boys and girls who slept at the schools boardroom and staffroom.

The Kenya Red Cross Society members were also at hand and provided temporary shelter for the pupils at school.

JPEG - 25.9 kb
Firefighters at St Augustine Primary School in Mombasa, which caught fire on Sunday night.

Kwamamaza
Comments

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Do not post comments that are defamatory, divisive and blasphemous.
If you wish to receive a quick response to your opinion/comments, please provide your email address in the space provided.
Your comments will appear after moderation from IGIHE.com.
In case the above regulations are not observed, your comments might not appear or will be deleted. Thank you!