IGIHE.com \BB News
Libyan forces recapture ISIL headquarters in Sirte
Published on 11-08-2016 - at 02:33' by Al Jazeera

UN-backed government forces say they have taken complete control of Ouagadougou complex, ISIL headquarters in the city.

Libyan pro-government forces have said they captured the headquarters of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Sirte, scoring a major victory in the group’s last stronghold in the country.

The fighters, mainly from the nearby city of Misrata, who were supported by US air strikes, said in a Facebook statement on Wednesday: "Sirte is returning to Libya" after taking over a convention centre that served as ISIL’s base.

"Our forces have complete control of the whole of the Ouagadougou complex - they even advanced some distance beyond the complex," said Rida Issa, a government spokesman.

"I am standing inside the walls of the Presidential Palaces, or the so-called Protocol Palaces in Sirte," Al Jazeera’s Ahmed Khalifa, reporting from Sirte, said.

"This entire area once under the total control of ISIL fighters is now in the firm grip of Al Bonyan Brigade fighters. The aftermath of fierce fighting seems clearly visible on these buildings."

The militia, which started the offensive in June, said they had also advanced to a cluster of unfinished blocks just west of the centre of Sirte, known as the "bone buildings", which had been used by ISIL (also known as ISIS) snipers.

At least 16 fighters from government-backed forces were killed and 11 wounded, Issa said.

US air strikes

Washington launched its air strikes on August 1, with President Barack Obama saying it was "in America’s national security interest" to help the pro-government forces "finish the job" of ousting ISIL from Sirte.

In a statement on Wednesday, the US Africa Command said 29 strikes had been carried out against ISIL positions in the town as part of "Operation Odyssey Lightning" as of Tuesday.

Libya’s Government of National Accord operations centre said further US raids were carried out on Wednesday, but did not say how many. The raids targeted ISIL positions, destroyed two armoured vehicles and stopped an explosives-laden car before it could reach loyalist forces, it said.

"During fighting, the US air strikes backing the brigade’s fighters shelled the area destroying a vehicle," said Al Jazeera’s Khalifa.

"The vehicle was packed with explosives as prepared for a suicide attack mission.The air strike targeting the area destroyed the vehicle which was surrounded by a number of ISIL fighters.

We can also see the undetonated howitzer-gun projectiles which were inside the vehicle."

JPEG - 205.6 kb
ISIL seized control of Sirte in 2015 [HO/Media centre of the GNA forces military operation against ISIL in Sirte



Do not post comments that are defamatory, divisive and blasphemous.
If you wish to receive a quick response to your opinion/comments, please provide your email address in the space provided.
Your comments will appear after moderation from IGIHE.com.
In case the above regulations are not observed, your comments might not appear or will be deleted. Thank you!