Two children of Hategekimana Epimaque and Ntashavu Vestine from Nyandarama village, Kagara cell of Gihundwe sector in Rusizi district have died after eating cassava.
Eight children ate cooked cassava yesterday at the home of a neighbor called Iremaharinde Alphonse and started feeling trouble in their bellies till two of them died this morning.
One of the deceased children, Olive Nyiranzeyimana died around 2:00 am while another Mukabayizere Josiane aged 12 died as she was being taken to Nkanka health center.
The executive secretary of Gihundwe sector, Muganga Emmanuel has told IGIHE that they suspect the death may have been caused by cassava children ate to a neighbor’s home.
“ Two of eight children who ate cassava at a neighbor’s home have passed away. It was realized that they ate cassava as they arrived at the health center but we are still waiting for outcomes of medical test,” he said.
The head of Nkanka health center, Jean Claude Ntamarengero says that they have received four children of whom two died immediately.
Ntamarengero said that they didn’t make advanced medical tests.He said cassava has toxic substances that can kill a person.