The government of Rwanda has conveyed condolences to Italy government after a Wednesday earthquake struck and devastated infrastructures and took lives of people leaving several others injured.
Following the disaster, many countries including Rwanda have sent condolences to Italy.
“Dear Ambassador Fornara: Rwanda Government and many friends of Italy in Rwanda are saddened by the earthquake at Amatrice! Keep strong, wishing families well!” tweeted Louise Mushikiwabo, Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs.
According to media reports, the death toll from a devastating earthquake in central Italy rose sharply to almost 250 people early on Thursday after rescue teams worked through the night to try to find survivors under the rubble of flattened towns.
The provisional toll jumped to 247 from the 159 dead listed on Wednesday night, national and regional officials said as a wave of aftershocks rattled a cluster of mountain communities 140 km (85 miles) east of Rome.
The strong 6.2 magnitude quake struck early on Wednesday as people slept, razing homes and buckling roads. It was powerful enough to be felt in Bologna to the north and Naples to the south, both more than 220 km (135 miles) from the epicenter.
The sun rose on Thursday on many people who had slept in cars or tents, the earth continuing to tremble under their feet. Two powerful aftershocks registered 5.1 and 5.4.
Officials said the death toll seemed destined to rise further. The toll appeared likely to surpass that from the last major quake to strike Italy, a temblor that killed more than 300 people in the central city of L’Aquila in 2009.
At least 368 injured people had been taken to hospital by late on Wednesday, Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said.
One hotel that collapsed in the small town of Amatrice probably had about 70 guests and only seven bodies had been recovered so far, said the mayor of the one of the worst-hit towns.
- Louise Mushikiwabo, Rwanda’s Minister of Foreign Affairs