Tanzania:Family members die after consuming ‘ugali’

By Daily News
On 8 October 2016 at 11:22

Five members of the same family died on the spot on Thursday afternoon in Muleba District shortly after eating hard porridge (ugali) which is suspected to contain poison.
The Chairman for Nyamilanda village of Kyebitembe ward, Trasias Baltholomeo, identified the deceased as Julitha Julius (35) and her four children – Haujen Julius (14), Steus Julius (10), Debora Julius (4) and Paschazia Julius who was five months old. According to Mr Baltholomeo, the five family members took lunch of (...)

Five members of the same family died on the spot on Thursday afternoon in Muleba District shortly after eating hard porridge (ugali) which is suspected to contain poison.

The Chairman for Nyamilanda village of Kyebitembe ward, Trasias Baltholomeo, identified the deceased as Julitha Julius (35) and her four children – Haujen Julius (14), Steus Julius (10), Debora Julius (4) and Paschazia Julius who was five months old. According to Mr Baltholomeo, the five family members took lunch of cassava ‘ugali’ at around 3 p.m. on Thursday.

However, shortly after eating the poisoned ‘ugali’, they started vomiting. Efforts were made to rush them to Rubya District Designated Hospital (DDH), but they died on the way.

Kagera Regional Police Commander (RPC), Augustine Ollomi, confirmed the incident, adding that samples of the ‘ugali’ have been sent to the government chemist to establish the type of poison. Nobody has been arrested so far in connection with the incident, he said.


Advertisement

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Kwamamaza