Al-Shabab claims responsibility for attack, saying that a fighter "rammed a suicide car bomb" into a CID building.
Two loud blasts, followed by heavy gunfire, have been heard in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu.
The al-Shabab group claimed responsibility for the attack on Sunday.
The Reuters news agency said seven people, including two attackers, had been killed, citing police.
"A fighter rammed a suicide car bomb into CID then other armed fighters stormed inside. We are now fighting inside the CID building," Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabab’s military operations spokesman, told the Reuters news agency.
The armed group wants to topple the government and frequently attacks security forces and civilians.
Twitter users posted images and footage of what appeared to be smoke billowing up over the city.
"It is too early to tell the number of casualties," Osman Mohamed, a police officer, told Reuters.
Sunday’s blasts came less than a week after an attack on African Union troops near Mogadishu’s main airport that killed 13 people.
That attack was also claimed by al-Shabab.
US deports Genocide fugitive to Rwanda
Trio arrested over illegal acquisition of Motor vehicle inspection certificate
Belgian ambassador visit Rwanda National Police
Kirehe residents lock horns with EUCL staff over cash-power meter confiscation
Rwanda, Netherlands share experiences on justice delivery
|READ MORE ARTICLES ABOUT "News"...|