IGIHE.com \BB Politics
Amid unrest, families of US personnel ordered to leave Congo
Published on 30-09-2016 - at 00:29' by The Indian Express

Critics of President Joseph Kabila say the delayed election is an effort to keep Kabila in power.

The State Department is halting most official US government travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo and ordering family members of US government personnel to leave the country.

Violent clashes broke out in Congo amid political turmoil earlier this month. Americans have been warned about traveling in the African nation for several weeks.

In an updated travel warning issued Thursday, the State Department says continued instability is being reported in Congo.The warning says the potential for civil unrest is high in parts of the capital, Kinshasa, and other major cities.

Congo’s electoral commission has decided a presidential election scheduled for November won’t be possible, sparking deadly clashes between security forces and demonstrators.

Critics of President Joseph Kabila say the delayed election is an effort to keep Kabila in power.

JPEG - 42.8 kb
Congo: Potential for civil unrest is high in parts of the capital, Kinshasa, and other major cities

Kwamamaza
Comments

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Do not post comments that are defamatory, divisive and blasphemous.
If you wish to receive a quick response to your opinion/comments, please provide your email address in the space provided.
Your comments will appear after moderation from IGIHE.com.
In case the above regulations are not observed, your comments might not appear or will be deleted. Thank you!