Head of FDLR rebel outfit, Mudacumura killed

On 18 September 2019 at 04:46

FDLR chief, Lt Gen Sylvestre Mudacumura is said to have been killed today morning, according to sources from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

It is said that he was killed in Bwito of Northern Kivu Province.

Mudacumura served in Rwanda’s military before the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi. He was the deputy commander of the Presidential Guard of the Rwandan Armed Forces during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.

He attended military courses in Hamburg, Germany.

Gen. Mudacumura is killed following the arrest of Major Sabimana Iraguha known as Mugisha Vainqueur, the former commander of his guarding forces in 2016. He was arrested by the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC).

Mugisha was among the top leaders of FDLR sought by the judiciary for alleged war crimes committed in Busurungi of Walikale during Umoja Wetu operations.

Those who talked about the death of Mudacumura include Simone Schlindwein, the correspondent of TAZ medium from Germany following up reports in DRC and the region.

She posted via a twitter account that Gen Mudacumura was killed today early morning ambushed by Nduma Defence Forces (NDF).

“Flash: it is confirmed now: Sylvestre Mudacumura: Rwandan Hutu Militia #Fdlr military leader, wanted by ICC for war crimes and crimes against humanity, was killed this morning in #congo nyanzale, chefferie de Bwito.. most likely by NDF militia,” tweeted Simone.

Another journalist working for DRC’s RTNC Television, Saleh Mwanamilongo posted on twitter that Mudacumura has been killed in Makomalehe, an area between Nyanzale and Bambo, in Bwito region.

Sylvestre Mudacumura, the military leader of the FDLR would be killed this morning in the locality of Makomalehe (between Nyanzale and Bambo in the chiefdom of Bwito, the territory of Rutshuru, North Kivu). In 2012 the ICC issued an arrest warrant against him for war crimes,” he said.

Gen Mudacumura was alleged of war crimes and torture among others committed in between 2009 and 2010. He took over FDLR chieftaincy following the repatriation of his predecessor, General Paul Rwarakabije.

The International Criminal Court of La Haye in Holland had issued arrest warrants against him on 13th July 2012.