The house caught fire at around 4:30 a.m. on Monday, February 10, 2020, destroying property worth millions of francs.
One of the residents at the house told authorities that as she entered one of the bedrooms next to the living room, she saw smoke after which took her child and left calling for help.
The Secretary-General of Nyarugunga Sector, Uwamahoro Geneviève, told IGIHE that they suspect the fire to have been caused by an electric short circuit.
“We suspect an electric short circuit to have caused the inferno. This is because the person who was in the house says that the fire started from a room.”
She added that an investigation has started, but that it is not yet known how much worth was the damaged property.
Rwanda police fire department extinguished the fire.