South Africa to bring Rwandan genocide fugitive to book

By IGIHE
On 13 December 2019 at 04:15

Dr. Serge Brammertz, the chief prosecutor for the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT) and for the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) has announced that South Africa has issued a warrant for the arrest of one of the 1994 genocide against Tutsi fugitive.

Dr. Brammertz announced it on Wednesday, December 11th as he was addressing the United Nations Security Council about the activities of IRMCT.

During his address, he reported ICTR activities including the case of a warrant for the arrest of eight genocide fugitives currently being pursued by the ICTR.

The fugitives include Kabuga Felicien, Mpiranya Protais, Bizimana Augustin, Kayishema Fulgence, Munyarugarama Phineas, Ndimbati Aloys, Sikubwabo Charles and Ryandikayo Charles who are in exile in different countries around the world.

The United States of America will grant a $5 million reward to whoever will capture the aforementioned criminals.

Dr. Brammertz said that “It is really sad that some countries in the United Nations are not willing to support the cause and help bring to justice those fugitives.”

He continued saying that after learning that one of the fugitives was on South Africa territory, nothing was done to arrest him but that last week, South Africa finally issued a warrant for his arrest even though they hid his identity.

“At this point, what would be just is immediately arresting the fugitive.”

He also condemned the lack of support from member countries of the UN that refuse to provide information about fugitives on their territories in a way that impedes ICTR investigations.

In his address at the 71st anniversary of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, Dr. Bizimana Jean Damascene from CNLG said that some countries continue to hide genocide convicts.

He also said that Rwanda will keep rooting for human rights and fight against genocide ideology anywhere in the world as it was proved recently, when Rwanda welcomed 117 refugees from Libya.

He concluded his address by requesting countries that are sheltering genocide convicts to bring them to ICTR or send them to Rwanda to be tried in courts.

Currently, Rwanda has sent 1144 warrants for the arrest of genocide convicts in exile. He called upon States to recommit to prevent and fight against genocide and other serious crimes under international law as resolution 2150 in the United Nations charter states.

If arrested, Felicien Kabuga and Protais Mpiranya will be tried by IRMCT while the remaining six fugitives including Fulgence Kayishema, Charles Sikubwabo, Aloys Ndimbati, Ryandikayo, and Phénéas Munyarugarama will be tried in Rwandan courts.


Advertisement

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS
Kwamamaza