The briefing, held on August 21, 2026, provided an opportunity for the government to engage diplomatic partners, share Rwanda’s approach to the issue and highlight ongoing efforts to address the challenges posed by illicit alcoholic beverages.
The Government of Rwanda said it remains committed to safeguarding public health, strengthening societal resilience and working with partners to advance solutions that protect communities.
The briefing comes as Rwanda steps up efforts to tackle illicit alcoholic beverages amid growing concerns about their impact on public health and families.
In just two weeks, authorities in Kigali closed 30 factories found to be producing alcoholic beverages that did not meet required standards. They also shut down 840 bars and 10 liquor stores for failing to comply with regulations.
The crackdown has also exposed alleged failures and misconduct among some officials responsible for regulating and certifying alcoholic beverages. On August 13, the Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) presented 18 suspects, all public servants, including the Director General of the Rwanda Food and Drugs Authority, Prof Emile Bienvenu. Ten of those presented were Rwanda FDA employees, while others were officials from the Rwanda Standards Board and local government institutions.
RIB spokesperson Dr Murangira B. Thierry said 104 people had been arrested since July 20 in connection with offences related to the production and distribution of substandard alcoholic beverages. Of these, 97 case files had been prepared and submitted to the prosecution.
According to RIB, preliminary investigations found that some licences for alcoholic beverage factories were allegedly issued without following recommendations from Rwanda FDA’s Internal Technical Licensing Committee. Officials from the Rwanda Standards Board are also being investigated over the alleged issuance of quality certification to companies whose products did not meet required standards.
Five local government officials have also been arrested over allegations that they helped factory operators evade enforcement, including by warning them about planned inspections or allowing facilities that had been closed to resume operations.
As part of the wider crackdown, Rwanda has closed more than 150 factories suspected of producing substandard alcoholic beverages and launched operations to seize and destroy the products. Authorities are also pursuing people suspected of being involved in their production and distribution.
In Kigali alone, authorities have seized more than 470,000 litres of ethanol allegedly used to manufacture the drinks and collected nearly four million bottles of substandard alcoholic beverages.
The government’s response follows reports from health authorities linking the consumption of illicit alcohol to serious health consequences. More than 500 people have received treatment, over 50 have died and more than 100 others have reportedly suffered vision loss.









Loading comments...
Leave a comment