The tragic incident happened on Wednesday, August 5th. The Executive Secretary of Muganza Sector, Ngirabatware James, said the brick site was being operated illegally, as the owner had been fined and stopped from operating the quarry.
“They are two children, one aged 16 and the other 18, who used to make bricks. The crater caved in, killing them instantly. The site had been closed but was being clandestinely and illegally operated. It was near the river and when it rained, it flooded, collapsed, and took the young lives,” said Ngirabatware.