The incident took place today morning around 9a.m.
Witnesses have told IGIHE that the fire outbreak emerged as workers welded metals and quickly caught mattresses.
“The fire gutted the facility when welders joined metal parts. Flames spread to mattresses which immediately started burning uncontrollably,” said Uwase Clarisse.
She revealed that encouraging workers at the furniture market to own fire extinguishers would be helpful in case similar incidents occur.
Another witness identified as Selemani Habimana has said that mattresses should be sold separately from the main business workshop to avoid similar incidents.
As fire gutted the furniture workshop, police rushed to intervene with five firefighting trucks.
Destroyed items are estimated at Rwf400 million.