There are reports indicating that some unscrupulous bus operators are selling tickets to passengers, promising to transport them to Kigali yet all travels from one province to another are still under ban.
Some incidents were reported in Musanze park, where bus operators promised to take passengers up to Shyorongi, and then others would pick them up and take them to Kigali, an act that has been pronounced as illegal.
RURA Director General Lt Col Patrick Nyirishema has warned the perpetrators, saying they are making a grave mistake which cannot e tolerated.
“People from upcountry provinces have places where they are not supposed to cross. That is, all roads from the provinces to Kigali have police checkpoints to ensure that people are not breaking those measures, which means they are being monitored,” Nyirishema said.
The cabinet meeting last week decided that from Monday, public transport or private vehicles will be allowed to operate in the central part of the province. But public and private transport between Kigali City and other provinces will continue to be suspended.
"In Kigali, the COVID-19 pandemic became most prevalent and that’s where the ‘stay at home’ started from so that we can prevent it ... You can go from Huye to Muhanga, whether by your car or by public transport, which is legal, but not from one province to another it’s legal,” Minister for Local Government, Prof Shyaka Anastase said.