Rwanda condoles with Lebanon after Beirut explosion

By Elina Jonas Ruzindaza
On 7 August 2020 at 08:51

The government of Rwanda has expressed its sincere condolences to Lebanese government and the families of the victims of over 100 people who died in the massive explosion that hit the capital city on August 4, 2020, wishing over four thousand wounded people a quick recovery.

“The government of Rwanda expresses its sincere condolences to the Lebanese government and to the families of the victims,” the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said in a tweet on Wednesday, August 5.

It is said that the explosion may have been caused by a bomb or other military explosive device, while other schools of thought say it was caused by “ammonium nitrate” used to make fertilizers.

Lebanese Prime Minister, Hassan Diab, said the site caught by fire contained 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that had been stored for six years.

Beirut’s governor, Marwan Aboud, said the blast had left 300,000 homeless people. He added that the damage was estimated at between $ 3 billion and $ 5 billion.

The ammonium nitrate reactor exploded after a house in which various products were stored was engulfed in flames. It exploded vigorously as far as Cyprus, about 240 kilometers from there.

Tuesday's blast killed over 100 people and injured over 4,000

Advertisement

YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE

RULES AND REGULATIONS
Kwamamaza